Thursday 13 January 2011

Collection 100

General Keywords regarding my subject (contents within bags):
Clutch Bag; Shoulder Bag; Rucksack; Bag; Hand bag; Purse; Keys; Phone; Suitcase; Luggage Bag; Camera; Water; Pen; Diary; Identity; Cards; Shopping Bag; Personality; Money; Possessions; Meaning; Insight; MP3 player.

Some secondary information gathered from the internet:
A friend told me about a Russian website where people had to empty their pockets onto a scanner, along with a part of their face and send it to them.  This is essentially what I am doing except with bags.  I think it works the same way where you can learn something about people from the images you are given.




















Unfortunately, the website doesn't work anymore so it is no longer live.  But I think it's something interesting to think about and draw inspiration from.

I found this site by checking 'Google' online.  It basically tells you what type of person you are by the type of bag you own and what you have inside it.  It makes a lot of sense, and backs up the information I have found myself.
'Messy (containing old candy wrappings, bills, old-or used (!) tissue, and other "junk")-You tend to be very busy and don't have time to clean out your purse. You actually may not want to; these particular items show a rebellious streak that not many know you have. It's the one spot where you don't have to live up to other's expectations (a release valve!).
On the contrary, your 
home's tidy and your work is always well organized. '


The link below explains itself.  Though the website is badly designed, the content is interesting- it is essentially what my project is on.
























Before going on to ask people what they thought should be in a bag I thought i'd check out any existing articles/ forums on the internet that told people what they should contain.  Below is what my first search came up with.  Most made sense and are probably essentials that i'd put in my bag.
Phone
Umbrella
Wallet
Make-up
Tissue
Camera
Sunglasses
Coin purse?
Shopping bag

'Don’t go on a hike, backpack or camping trip without these pieces of essential gear.'


















From this research i've found that "essentials" do not interest me, only really in different social and environmental situations will this list change.  I like the idea that the list changes for every person in the world- everyone has a different list of "essentials" for themselves.

'Pack that bag."
Pack That Bag: Top 10 Travelling Essentials To Put On Your Back.

Some primary research, gathered from people around my age:
I asked what they thought should be in a bag.
"A day bag?"
"A bag for work?"
"A bag for going out?"
The majority of the answers sounded confused.  I realised that the question was too open and that I need to make it closed to get more direct information from people.  I was getting back questions rather than answers.
So,
from this I asked what they thought you needed in a general 'day bag'- people got the idea of this one.
The results I got back were:
"Keys"
"Purse/ Wallet"
"Phone"
"Food"
"Laptop"
"Hair brush"
"Pens"
"Nurofen"
"Cigarettes, Lighter"
"I Pod"
"Hair grips"
"Umbrella"
"Camera"
"Glasses"
"Make-up"
"Inhaler"
"Water"
"Money"
"Diary"
Of course some of these things are subjective i.e. Cigarettes, make-up and glasses.  So therefore they are opinions.

I asked if they were - male/ female.
                                - If they used a bag on a regular basis.
                                - If so what kind of bag.  I.e. rucksack, shoulder, clutch etc.
                                - What generally goes into their bag.
                                - If they had one on them at that moment in time, what was in it.

I think the last question is important because (unless the person is holding back) you can get interesting results from it, something that really tells a story.

Here are my results:






















































































Most replies in my opinion are fairly predictable given that the majority of these people attend university or college so would require pens; books; memory sticks; notebooks.
Statistic:  
5 out of the 8 people have memory sticks in their bags.
I don't think this information is particularly interesting, but as I said before, more predictable.

However, things such as Australian stamps and Korean pie cake are a surprise.  This interests me.






























No comments:

Post a Comment