Saturday 5 February 2011

Design for Screen

'Frontier phsychiatrist', The Avalanches.

Directed by 'Tom Kuntz'.  
A perfect example in my opinion of humour successfully reaching the audience.


Tetris.  I love this game, yet I have a love/hate relationship with it's design.  There are obviously many different  versions designs of this timeless classic.  Arguably, function seems to follow form in this design, I feel it has a lot more potential to grow visually, yet still, I think there is a charm in it's simplicity.  I think you also have to take into context the time in which it was designed- at this time, this design would have been very impressive.  However, analysing it in 'the now' I feel that the design has become classic, a style for other designers to take on- adopting and adapting it as a 'retro look'.  Possibly a question of reputation over quality?






























Another music video, 'Rude Boy' by Rihanna.
This is a really entertaining visual design, where colour and movement have clearly been thoroughly thought out.



Directed by 'Melina Matsoukas'
The use of vivid, strong colours and patterns in this video give it a retro feel with a modern look that appeals to a wide audience, and, essentially, wakes them up.


The 'Rude Boy' video has been criticised for essentially copying M.I.A's 'Boyz' video.  I see the similarities and understand the accusations, however I think the money gone into Matsoukas' video definitely works in its visual favour, making it a bit more crisp.




































Unfortunately the video was not available to embed onto my blog so here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1SJKF_sQrw&NR=1

No comments:

Post a Comment